I purchased an Exit Zero magazine while vacationing in Cape May, NJ a few weeks ago.
A particular article, an interview of 2 brothers who’ve been in business together for 50 years described their 20 Business/Life Lessons. The full text can be found in the September Issue of Exit Zero magazine; great reading about The Original Fudge Kitchen.
Here they are:
- Start young. (I’ll address this later! Keep reading!)
- Work hard, really hard.
- Know when to get out.
- Find a mentor.
- Observe a master at work.
- Recognize an opportunity.
- Age is no barrier. (See!)
- Sometimes you have to break the rules.
- Make your mistakes early.
- Don’t give up, even when you really want to.
- Luck will come to those who work.
- Know when to grow.
- Family has your back. (or the family you create!)
- Take a deep breath and make the leap.
- You never know as much as you think. (sometimes, more than you think!)
- Location, location, location.
- Don’t be afraid to be quirky.
- Make the difficult decisions.
- Planning is over-rated.
- Communicate clearly with your staff.
Initially, when I read these, my inner critic jumped in to pick a fight. ” Start young”, for instance, had my 57 yr. old self take a deep pity party sigh!
What happens when we allow our fear to take over? We stop doing new things. Action taking ceases and we stay in our comfort zone of misery. Who knew misery could feel so good?
For those of us who don’t consider ourselves young, let’s try something.
Think about your valuable experiences in life and business.
What are your top 20 lessons?
Write them down.
How many of them feel universal?
Which of them are specific to your talents?
Go back and read them over.
Are these lessons true for you right now?
Which ones need attention?
We find our true selves by honoring our lessons, by recognizing our own story.
As Brené Brown states, “When you own your story, you get to write a brand new ending.”
A coach can assist you with owning your story and taking action toward the life you desire to lead.
What’s your story? What are your 20 Life/Business Lessons?